Resouces for Faculty
Faculty have a plethora of options when considering what textbooks and instructional materials to adopt. Below are search tools and resources to help faculty find quality free or low-cost textbook alternatives to traditional textbooks. Workshops and incentives for departments and individual faculty who wish to discover and adopt free/ low-cost materials are available. Please contact the Faculty Center by phone at 707-664-2659 or email email@example.com to participate.
- Open Educational Resources at SSU, a quick reference for Sonoma State faculty looking for open educational resources for their courses.
- Sonoma State University Library view e-books, streaming media, and publications available to share with students online or place a book on reserve for students to use.
- SSU BookStore offers an array of options including a used and book rental program.
Open Educational Resource (OER) Repositories
Free educational materials in small modules that can be organized as courses, books, reader materials, and academic assignments. Repositories may include texts, lesson plans, assessments, interactive multimedia, images, simulations, and sound recordings. In addition to using open-licensed or, open-educational materials think about joining the global community by authoring and contributing your own.
- Creative Commons (CC) Use and Remix search for CC-licensed content via search services provided by various independent organizations
- iBerry Open Education Directory provides educational resources such as lecture notes, videos, slides, podcasts, exam questions, software, demonstrations, images selected from universities and colleges
- Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching (MERLOT) CSU's curated collection of free and open online teaching, learning, and faculty development services
- Open Education Resources Commons (OER) library and network for open educational teaching and learning materials which may be freely used and reused
- OpenStax free educational materials and textbooks and educational materials including Arts, Business, Humanities, Mathematics and Statistics, Science and Technology, and the Social Sciences
Open Textbooks and Materials
- California Open Online Library for Education (Cool4Ed) search for free textbooks/materials and reviews from faculty who use them
- ChemCollective online resources for the teaching and learning Chemistry virtual labs, scenario-based learning activities, tutorials, and concept tests
- Chemistry LibreTexts (Chemwiki) science-related open texts
- Consortium for the Advancement of Undergraduate Statistics Education (CAUSEweb)
- Curriki K-12 Standards-Based Resources
- iLumina a digital library of sharable undergraduate teaching materials for chemistry, biology, physics, mathematics, and computer science
- National Energy Education Development Project (NEED) curriculum and learning resources for energy-related fields of study
- National Science Digital Library online educational resources for teaching and learning, with the current emphasis on the sciences, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) disciplines
- Open Michigan open educational resources, publications, data, learning objects, multimedia, papers, presentations from the University of Michigan and beyond
- OpenStax Textbooks offers free textbooks on a variety of subjects including Arts, Business, Humanities, Mathematics and Statistics, Science and Technology, and the Social Sciences
- Open Textbook Library offers textbooks that have been funded, published, and licensed to be freely used, adapted, and distributed. These books have been reviewed by faculty from a variety of colleges and universities to assess their quality